Wednesday, June 12, 2013

June 1, 2013 - All-Season Blueberry Cobbler

My parents were making dinner for my family and one aunt and uncle, so I volunteered to make a dessert (of course).  I had a lot of blueberries, so it was a toss up between blueberry pie and cobbler.  I settled on the cobbler (mostly due to time reasons), and since I was using frozen blueberries, I went for the All-Season Blueberry Cobbler recipe (since this recipe makes some modifications/additions due to the blueberries being thawed).


This was actually my first recipe from the "Crisps, Cobblers, and Other Fruit Desserts" chapter, but I was surprised at the simplicity of the recipe.  Basically, it consisted of mixing up the blueberry filling, baking it in a pie dish for a bit, then scooping a biscuit dough on top of the hot berries and baking it again.





















Once the blueberry filling was in the oven, it was time to mix up the biscuits.  The kicker with the biscuits is to not mix the wet and dry ingredients together until just before the berries come out of the oven.  With about a minute left, I mixed up the biscuits, then scooped out the dough onto the hot berries.

 

The cobbler baked then cooled.  The biscuits were a perfect golden brown, and the thing I love about this recipe is the simplicity.  The berries really stand out due to the fact that there are few other components, but the biscuits are the perfect compliment.  Now if you really want to get crazy, my dad also made homemade vanilla ice cream that night, so obviously some of the family was all over a scoop of that on top of this cobbler.  However it was eaten, it was definitely a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment