Saturday, August 10, 2013

August 8, 2013 - Irish Brown Soda Bread

Another case of family coming over for dinner and requesting a bread.  Unfortunately, I had about an hour and a half.  Of course I went to the Quick Breads recipes to see what I could whip up quick.  I had already made the Classic Irish Soda Bread recipe, so I decided to go with a variation of this, and went with the Irish Brown Soda Bread.


The amazing this about this recipe is how quick you can pull it together.  The biggest difference in this variation versus the original was the addition of whole wheat flour, toasted wheat germ, and some brown sugar.





















This bread was a major hit, especially with my dad, who loved the dense, almost biscuit like center, and I loved the flavor the whole what a bit of brown sugar added.  And, like the classic version, the crust gets an amazing crusty exterior.  This is such a great recipe for a quick bread to go with basically any meal.  Heck, we had it with lasagna!


No comments:

Post a Comment